Saturday, November 22, 2008

Creepy Monkey Chimneysweep

When we moved into our house, I found this two-inch metal figurine in the matchholder of our fireplace (pardon the poor quality of the picture). Part Pan, part monkeyman, with more than one allusion to the devil (note the hooves and broom which suggests a trident), it has become the most beloved of the creepy objects I possess (but I'll show you a piece of jewelry later that is a close second).

Was this part of some child's toy from a far less uptight era (what with its sharpness, guaranteed lead content, and swallowability)? Was it a talisman of some kind? Did the previous owner bring it, find it? This needs a story! Sounds like a job for Bev or Eva (no pressure, ladies).

6 comments:

Eva said...

I have to say that I was a bit on edge when I saw the title of the blog entry as I really don't like monkeys at all (and the same goes for dolls... I have to look away if a doll is shown in a movie but I can watch a decapitation scene while eating a heavy meal and without blinking... Go figure!). I think that your definition of Pan could be the right one. Now why would he have a broom? Couldn't he send some minions over to do the dirty work? I think that if one day I was invited in your home I would look out for that statue and make sure it's not following me around...

Ana said...

Eva -- I share your hatred of dolls. I actually just told my husband yesterday that I was glad we didn't have girls just because I don't have to look at creepy dolls all over the place. I'd rather trip on a Hot Wheel any day. The only doll-like thing I ever liked was the giant Barbie head that you could put make up on and do her hair. She was cool.

Im HOT said...

I'm not sure I'd like somethin that ugly in my house. Mama would 'av throw it out by now and replaced it with one of her Hummel statues.

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

Man, what IS that! It's Totes cool. I myself see more monkey then Pan. It's got a theatrical look going on. With the ruffle collar and are those shoes? It all about the accessories. This is my guess.
It's is part of a circus set. I bet he is a little monkey meant to run around after the elephants and horses with his broom cleaning up their poo.

Bam! I bet I nailed it!

Eva said...

Right now I'm burning every candle I can get my hands on or any incense that I can find so that we have a boy and we can play war around the house. That giant Barbie doll head was indeed cool. I did make an exception for GI Joes, though. Porcelain dolls are probably the worst creatures to ever stand on a shelf...

Ana said...

I'm HOT -- Hummels! Oh no! I had forgotten all about those things -- thanks a lot..

Eva -- well, even if you do have a girl, you can always deny her access to dolls -- never forget, you're the mommy! ;-)

Bev-- I think you're right -- elephant poo-scooping monkey. How could I have been so blind?