Monday, November 17, 2008

The Inebriate's Guide to Boston's South End -- With Rodrigo and Me.

I have been constant to one man for thirteen years. He is my best friend, Rodrigo (that's not his real name -- his real name is even better -- this is the name he asked I use if I blog about him). We met when we were dating brothers. We lived so close that our back porches almost touched. We joked about making tin can phones and setting up a pulley system between our apartments. Well, those brothers are long gone, but we have held fast. We have seen each other through break ups, falling in love, more break ups, family issues, general feelings of malaise, periods of intense joy. For nine years straight we have gone to Provincetown, MA every summer to dance and drink and lie on the beach. He is endlessly patient, caring, and kind. Like me, he can be petulant and selfish, which is why I love him so much.

Anyway, on Saturday (after an incredible massage -- he's a massage therapist) we went to Boston's South End for some bar hopping. I thought I'd share the places we went and what we drank -- I think we ate but I can't remember. He keeps me in touch with the city dweller I used to be.

Stop #1: Gaslight Beverages: R ordered the Edith Piaf and I ordered L'acolyte (when I ordered it, I simply asked for the Acolyte -- the bartender said, "Oh, you mean "lah-co-leet?" Whatever... the thing with the French brandy in it, lady.) Check out the menu for the ingredients -- they were delicious. The bar looked like a silver jewelry tray. Highly recommended, snobby staff notwithstanding.

Stop #2: Rocca Beverages: R ordered the Strata #6 while I had a nice sangria. Fabulous interior, nice staff, awesome ladies' room.

Stop #3: Banq Beverages: We both ordered Dragonfires (I think... Dragon somethings... things were getting fuzzy at this point). The hands-down coolest interior of any restaurant I've ever seen. It's like a cave but nicer and with toilets. Way too many bartenders -- all women, all bosomy, wearing black tank tops -- hmm... interesting for the four straight men who were there, at least.

Stop #4: Club Cafe Beverages: R had the French Martini and I had the Lime Drop. I vaguely remember eating nachos. Our waitress was a bitch.

Stop #5: Border's Beverages: I had the Eggnog Latte and R had a dry cappucino. Much needed coffee break after all that imbibing and a windy walk. This was our last stop.

We won't see each other again for a few months, I'm sure. But it doesn't matter, even if we don't talk once between now and then. We pick up right where we left off.

Rodrigo, you're the best!

4 comments:

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

I want to retrace your steps. See the scenes of the crime. Do the forensics. It will take some work, but I am up for it.

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

All your links worked great for me!

Ruthie Burman said...

Love Gaslight! Make sure you guys go to Estragon, just down the street. Totally Spaniard, including the dry, semi-friendly atmosphere. Except, you can't smoke, which takes some of the "I'm in Europe" feeling.
R.B.

Eva said...

Well you can't smoke anymore in Europe...