Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mother's Love


When I was about five years old, my brother caught me a wild baby bunny. He jumped right off a hay escalator and severely injured himself, but that rabbit was mine. Much to my surprise, upon arriving home with my new treasure, my only-cat-loving mother agreed to let me keep him. She even set up a cage for him in her immaculately clean kitchen. Life was great. Every day, I would come home from school, feed and pet "Hoppy" (you can see originality was discouraged in our house). He was so cute, so soft, so fluffy! And he was growing up.

One day many months later, upon arriving home, my mother met me at the door to give me the bad news: she had taken Hoppy into the garden with her to keep her company as she weeded her carrots. And do you know what? That little bunny ran away. I was devastated. I remember weeping into her polyester shirt.
When I was nineteen, I found out from my sister that Hoppy had not run away at all! In fact, my mother had killed him, skinned him and made a nice Haasenpfeffer out of him, which I apparently ate for dinner.

While this may seem a Grimmsian nightmare of sorts, I could only laugh at my mother's actions -- and not a bitter laugh. A true chuckle. I don't know what her motivations were... years of resentment toward her children? a genuine love for slow roasted game? It doesn't matter. What a thing for a woman to do!

7 comments:

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

Ahh, the love for a child and the love a of a finely cooked rabbit. It can be hard to choose. Maybe feeding you that rabbit was an act of love. She gave you a fairy tale and a warm meal. Bittersweet like growing up.

Grumpy Guy said...

This story made me think of the Bugs Bunny episode where Yosemite Sam is the king's cook and the king wants to try a new dish. "Cook! Bring me Haasenpfeffer!" Hilarity ensues.

pulpexploder said...

One of my friends had a similar experience with a hermit crab. They taste sweet. Did you know that?

Ana said...

Funny! But I think serving seafood to children should be a crime in itself! ;-)

Thanks for visiting, by the way! I like your blog. Your bit on Godot today was really great.

pulpexploder said...

Thanks! Godot is one of those plays that you think about for years afterwards. If you haven't read it, you should.

I should probably mention that she cooked the crab herself. Also, she was 19. So not really like your experience, but funny nonetheless.

Eva said...

I'm really confused now as I love bunnies as pets but they are a highlight in any paella... That said, I can't really blame your mum as I nearly boiled my sea turtle as the heating in its swimming pool was way too high... I nearly tried turtle soup that day... Does that count as sea food?

Ana said...

I think that's called poolfood -- which I try to eat in small amounts due to the chlorine...

Poor turtle!