Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What Ugly Women Know


One need not be a Chamber -- to be Haunted --
One need not be a House --
The Brain has Corridors -- surpassing
Material Place --

Far safer, of a Midnight Meeting
External Ghost
Than its interior Confronting --
That Cooler Host.

Far safer, through an Abbey gallop,
The Stones a'chase --
Than Unarmed, one's own self encounter --
In lonesome Place --

Ourself behind ourself concealed --
Should startle most --
Assassin hid in our Apartment
Be Horror's least.

The Body -- borrows a Revolver --
He bolts the Door --
O'erlooking a superior spectre --
More near--

~Emily Dickinson

This poem gives me the chills -- "Ourself behind ourself
concealed" -- could anything be more terrifying?

4 comments:

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

I have also never read this poem. It always blows me away how modern a poet Dickinson was. As you know I can identify with her in someways. Ya, know but I am way more fun. I can't imagine having to live with her anxiety in the victorian era. Poor thing I just want to hug her!

pulpexploder said...

Didn't everyone live with anxiety in the Victorian era? (Except pirates!)

But yeah, Dickenson is great. I need to read more of her stuff, since I never ventured into her mind more than what was fed to me in the textbooks (and I'm sure that stuff's pretty tame).

Eva said...

Very nice. Not normally a big fan of poetry unless it's of the creepy kind, of course!...

Ana said...

Yes, y'all... she defined good poetry as anything that made her feel as if the top of her head had come off -- I love that description -- a precursor to "mind blowing."

Pulp -- LOVED the pirate bit on your blog but especially the music. I would have been a good pirate, I think. I love the clothing and the attitude.